Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Review of The 2 In 1 Move Shoot Move Star Tracker

I recently purchased a star tracker from Move Shoot Move. This was the kit (configuration) which I ordered - Basic Kit A:


MSM Easy to use Star Tracker (Newest 2-in-1) - Holiday Sale is ON! ✨

Basic Kit A: Rotator, Polar Scope, Scope illuminator, Scope Bracket

 

Check it out Here!

 

I placed my order online, on October 19th (2021).

I opted for getting my order from The US warehouse.

This option may be selected for an additional cost of $5.95. It was supposed to help me get my order quicker (as per their website). Move Shoot Move Have warehouses in Australia, Europe, and the US. 

Well, the fact is it took a while for my package to actually arrive. Below I've pasted the status updates, from the USPS website. As you can see, there weren't any changes for quite some time. Being very anxious to receive the tracker, I made it a habit of checking the package status everyday. The same status (as seen below) remained unchanged until October 25th. If you happen to be very anxious to get (back) into the hobby (like me!) it may be a little frustrating...

The MSM website does advise the buyer that they should expect delivery to be between 1 and 7 days.


October 20, 2021, 11:10 pm
Departed Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item
WHITTIER, CA 90601 
Shipping Partner:  DHL ECOMMERCE
Your item departed a shipping partner facility at 11:10 pm on October 20, 2021 in WHITTIER, CA 90601. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date.


October 20, 2021, 10:20 am
Arrived Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item
WHITTIER, CA 90601 
Shipping Partner:  DHL ECOMMERCE

 

Well, The MSM Tracker did finally arrive. And I was pleased with the excellent packaging.

I really liked the nice, cushioned carry case included -

The Polar Alignment scope is very nice, well-built (Aluminum) with the ability to focus; as well as 3 easy to access Allen screws for calibration (centering) of the reticule. 

Alignment and centering (calibration) of the reticule simply requires a bit of time and patience to get sorted properly. There is a helpful YouTube video, giving a good general idea on how to do it Here.

As other reviewers have mentioned, the only occasional issue I've run into, is: Ending up with a few shots (images) with minor star trailing. This happens (as others have reported) from time to time while the gears are getting "settled". Or "re-settled" after the mount has been moved or had any gross adjustment done to it. It seems to take a few minutes for the gears inside to settle back into their (accurate) routine.

If you take your time, and handle the mount very carefully, without overloading it (with anything larger than a 135mm lens) then your chances of success increases.

I only ran into issues when trying an 80-200mm zoom lens, on my Canon T7 DSLR. 

Again, the bottom line is: Get your mount properly polar aligned, don't treat it roughly, and it works just fine. I was able to get decent, trail-free images:

I used a 18-55mm Canon zoom (kit) lens; and managed to consistently get 30 second exposures, easily without trailing.

I look forward to adding much more to this review soon; as well as some of the pics I managed with The MSM Tracker.

 

NGC7000 The North American Nebula 


This is a stack of 18, 30-second images, taken with an un-modified Canon T7 + 55mm lens - Using The MSM Tracker.

 

Until then, Clear skies!

No comments: