Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Got Myself A Serious Tracking Mount - A (used) Skywatcher Star Adventurer

 So, I was shopping around (all over, actually) for a Star Adventurer tracking mount. I was on eBay, Astromart, and Cloudy Nights classifieds for a little over three days...

When, finally, someone listed one (on Astromart) - with just about all the accessories (except the small green anodized ball head mount). And I snatched it up; within hours of it being listed.

Seller's Orig Pic

The Seller was a really nice guy, and shipped it out right away. And for the first few nights, it worked great! Polar alignment doesn't even have to be perfect in order to get nice (trail-free) exposures of between 30" up to 2'! - Depending on how well you're polar aligned.

The Seller included a heavy duty ball head
 

I've even been keeping myself busy buying even more accessories and doo dad's for this mount...Including a new ball head holder, etc., etc.

For now, I just wanted to state: That although my astrophotography attempts have been easier than ever before; and some of the results I'm getting have been better than ever:

In all honesty, I still don't think I'm 100% "all in" when it comes to AP. I'm into it for now, strictly because of the close-to-freezing Temps we're facing over the next couple of months. 

The only way to enjoy any kind of astronomy, is via AP - where you can set everything up outside on a deck, take 15-20 Min. to frame & focus, etc., and then retreat back inside. While the equipment diligently takes the sub-exposures for you.

The bottom line, it seems: is that I much rather be enjoying the simple pleasures of observing DSO's and creating pencil sketches. The simple joy of using a telescope (or binoculars) to observe.

The first (and ever looming) issue, when it comes to AP - Is the cost. It's an expensive hobby. Especially if you want to do it right.

Mind you, this is coming from a guy who used to use a homemade barn door tracker ($25) as a mount! My entire AP set-up cost me about $600 (with camera, which was bought modified, for ~ $300+). That was my first foray into AP...while living under Bortle 8 skies.

Then, I moved to Bortle 4ish skies; and things were great. I was still using the barn door tracker, and getting good results. Short sub-exposures, though. Then, I got out of AP. Sold my modified Canon, and all the AP goodies.

Now, we moved to some solid Bortle 4 skies. So...I tried it again. By acquiring this Star Adventurer mount, etc. But - Here's a spoiler: The mount is currently for sale, right back on Astromart and Cloudy Nights.  ((sigh)) ...Well, I tried.

I guess what bugs me the most (these days) is the necessity of taking Darks, Flats, and Bias Frames - Ugh. Annoying.  

But, if we really get down to brass tacks - It's the expense. It's just naturally an expensive hobby. Much more expensive, in my estimation than even Mini Reef Keeping (marine aquariums). A person can set-up a very small ("Nano Reef") of a few gallons -to- 5 gallons in size, for much less than it takes to get started in AP.

YouTube is practically littered with videos on exactly how to do it. From 0 to thriving mini-reef aquarium in under $300. It's just an example...

Anyway, the expense - That's what's been "bugging" me lately. Most likely, because as of late, I'm on a lower budget than ever. Plus, the idea (mostly, the simplicity) of just observing (and maybe sketching) DSO's with an optical instrument has a quaint appeal to it.

What I've been fascinated with lately, are vintage optics. Vintage telescopes, both reflectors and refractors; as well as binoculars. I have even contemplated selling my Star Adventurer mount...so that I can buy a nice, vintage telescope. By this I mean something like a Tasco, or Edmund Scientific 4.5" reflector... Or a 76.2mm Tasco refractor, or any of the other desirable vintage models. Again, the only thing stopping me - are these really cold temperatures...

If you're one of the 3 people who occasionally visit this blog, and you have any opinions/thoughts to add on this subject: Please do!

To be continued...

Clear and steady skies to you!

No comments: