Sunday, July 1, 2018

What I originally had planned for This Blog

So, my original "mission statement" for this blog, was to address issues which 99% of current Astronomy blogs don't - namely:
  • Real urban Astronomy
  • Real low-budget astrophotography
Enjoying astrophotography, despite daunting light pollution and light trespass (glare). 
And, doing it while on a low budget: Many folks don't have the discretionary funds to purchase the best (high-end) equipment.
(many blogs & sites claim to deal with these topics, but sadly they don't)

Then yesterday, a completely unexpected miracle happened: I found out that we (my wife and I) will be moving to a much more rural area! 

While there are many different reasons why living upstate will be awesome (for any naturalist), there is one, which stands out a bit more than the rest:
Dark skies for Astronomy!

We are moving, away from the awful Bortle 8/9 skies of Bronx, New York to the Bortle 4 skies of rural upstate New York. I couldn't possibly be any happier about this!
I'm going to get myself a brand new 10" reflector and start sketching deep sky objects again! I will post a full review here, of whichever 10" Dob I buy.
It will be similar to the one I had (an Apertura 8) which I bought, back when I had access to a backyard.
...Sadly, I only owned it and used it for a short time - When my brother-in-law had to find a new home to rent.
In any case, I am simply over the moon with this fantastic news!



I will still be focusing on the original topics, and I still have plenty to write about the challenges of urban astronomy.
But, I'm also looking forward to sharing my observations, from my new dark sky location!

Clear skies!

No comments: