Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Honest and Unbiased Reviews of Astrophotography Equipment Part 1

First, Smart Telescopes - My thoughts and experiences: Simple, not-too-technical explanations, of the (affordable) Smart Telescopes: The Dwarf 2 and The Seestar S50. I've been using The Seestar S50 a lot more lately.

Have you taken a good look at some of the images captured with the Seestar S50 lately? You can always go to the Seestar S50 Official Group on Facebook, and just have a look. What you see, generally, are average people acquiring some phenomenal photos of deep sky objects - using just a Seestar S50. 

Of course, there are some “outliers” who put in some extra effort, and a lot of extra time – and achieve really remarkable results. Probably the most amazing part of it, and this is coming from a bona fide astrophotographer, is that when compared to images acquired using conventional rigs: the results from the Seestar S50 are commonly as good, and often better, than those acquired while spending a lot more money (and time). 
I have spent a lot of my free time recently, simultaneously, adding components to the conventional astrophotography rig I have; testing it, etc. 
I've also been researching all of the different results which other hobbyists have been getting, using different combinations of equipment. Astrobin.com is a great resource, For doing some quick and easy searches – to see images acquired with specific equipment. 
Of course, I’ve been looking up equipment similar to the rig I currently have, as well as possible combinations of scopes and cameras, which I’ve considered upgrading to.

There are almost a dozen different scope / camera combinations I've considered: From Newtonian astrographs, to 6" SCTs, even considered the "exotic" (lol) Ritchey Chretien!  
And many cameras, from DSLRs to CMOS... And I could hardly find any (modestly-priced) combination, which would produce substantially better results than my Seestar S50. 
The only (affordable) scope I came across, which would show a noticeable improvement in overall image(s) were the popular 6" F/4 Newtonian astrographs (like this one - for one example). Or this one, which is at least in stock.

This is my current set up: 

How it started...

How it progressed...

How it ended up...
(still in progress)


Software, which is being tested extensively is:
These are all very good, but for now the ones I’ve settled on are:

APT
 &

I like using APT because it gives you real time feedback on everything that’s taking place: There’s live view, you can look at your actual sub frames, you can see the battery status of connected equipment, etc. 
I just find it all intuitive and very easy to use. I may also be a bit biased, because it’s the software I’ve used in years past.
I purchased a license for Sharpcap software; I’m looking forward to trying it’s live stacking feature.

Among the DSLR combinations I was looking into, were the following: 

Canon 550D + 80/90/102mm refractors 
Canon 5D Mk II (inspired by Astrobiscuit!)
Canon 60Da (inspired by Trevor Jones – Astrobackyard)

Nikon D5300 (inspired by Nico Carver – Nebulaphotos)
       &
Canon SL2

Canon T7i
       &
Nikon D5600 (inspired by Jerry Lodriguss – Astropix).

Other cameras by Canon which I’ve been looking into:

6D MkI
6D Mk II (full frame sensor)
5D MII
5D Mk III
450D (because of how inexpensive and versatile it is).

Other cameras by Nikon which I’ve been looking into:

D7500
D5500
D850
D810A (full frame sensor)
D600 (full frame sensor)
D700 (full frame sensor)

Until next time,

Clear skies!

No comments: