Thursday, March 7, 2024

Honest and Unbiased Reviews of Astrophotography Equipment Part 2

The point I'd like to make is: It might seem like there's a bit of a shortage, of honest, and unbiased reviews of astrophotography equipment. It's a shame, really. Sometimes, it's blatantly obvious which reviewers are "in the pocket" of some manufacturers. 


And before you jump to the conclusion, that I'm about to "paint myself" as the only one prepared to be honest about products - I'll point out 4 reviewers - Which I can think of off the top of my head (so far) who are honest & unbiased in their Astro product reviews:



Now, there are some other excellent ones out there, it's just that these are four which immediately came to my mind. Those which I'm confident about…and I enjoy watching their videos as well!

It's important to have at least some YouTuber's you can trust, for finding out the real deal about astronomy products.

You owe it to yourself to check-out, and subscribe to these guy's YouTube channels. You'll be glad you did! I watch them all the time. They're the real deal.

Astrobiscuit - Arguably, the most entertaining and informative/inspirational AP YouTube Channel out there. So good, you may find yourself coming back to watch some videos again and again! (I do!). In a word? Comprehensive.

Astrobackyard - Trevor Jones - Down-to-earth, easy-to-understand, useful Info on AP. Excellent for beginners. Information you can put to use immediately. Very useful recommendations & demonstrations.

Nebulaphotos - Nico Carver - Articulate, yet easy-to-understand, solid advice on AP for Beginners and beyond. Performs the most comprehensive tests/comparisons of hardware & software you've seen. As an example:
...Did he really test & compare every DSLR mod? Yes, yes he did!

Cuiv The Lazy Geek - This fellow...He gets his hands on ALL the latest equipment! Want to know what the hottest new AP gadget is? Cuiv will already have it, and be testing it! I've found out about all the latest AP gadgets by following his channel. I watch all the time!
       
ScottCAstroPhotography - If you’re a younger Astrophotographer, then Scott is the guy you’ll be able to relate to very easily. Not exclusively or otherwise limited to younger folks only! Younger generation Astrophotographers seem to go about their approach to AP in a slightly different way. They seem to want to get from point A to point B in the fastest way possible. Check out his channel and make up your own mind.

I do not plan on working on, or having a (successful) Astro YouTube channel. Creating excellent channels (like those) requires unfathomable amounts of work and effort. With my medical conditions, I wouldn't be able to, so I'm just an avid viewer. 
Writing reviews and blog posts, I can handle! 😀

And let’s not forget the books! When I’m not trying to capture images, organizing, stacking, or post processing (my attempts at) images of DSO‘s - I’m usually reading a book on astronomers of the 19th century. 
If you think you’d enjoy reading about these folks, then stay tuned: 
I’ll be sharing the titles of the books I would highly recommend, in an upcoming post.

However, I promise the next post you see here will be a thorough, and detailed review of the AM3 Harmonic Drive Mount from ZWO (my local weather has not been cooperating at all).

And finally, don't forget this brand-new book! It has just been made available for purchase a week ago! If you are one of those folks who have come to the conclusion, that dedicated CMOS AP cameras are the way to go - then you will especially love this book! It touches on many of the (scientific) reasons, why cooled CMOS cameras are superior for AP...
Full, detailed, book review is in progress; but again up next, is Part 1 of 2, of The AM3 Harmonic Drive Mount from ZWO.

Until next time,
Clear skies!

No comments: