Sunday, December 10, 2023

A Series of Awesome Books I Came Across

I wanted to share some good news, about these books I recently came across. It’s just been a long time, since I found a book, which is so useful, that I consider it a must have.

Now these books have been out and available for quite a while, which makes it even more surprising that I’ve never come across them before. 

In any case, the main book, entitled 'Objects in the Heavens, The Complete Mag–10 Northern Deep Sky Viewing List and Fieldbook' by Peter Birren.

The 'Goals List - Log Book - Sketch Book' is on the right-hand-side.

I like this book so much, I bought a spiral bound printed copy as well as the electronic version. After all, the electronic version is only $6.50 and you can print out whichever page covering whichever constellation that you’ll be focusing on for the evening's observing session. 

The other thing I like about them, besides being spiral bound, is that they are small and easily portable. The other book, also bears the title 'Objects in the Heavens Goals List – Log Book – Sketch Book'  'Plan Your Viewing - Have More Fun', and is an excellent place to keep your sketches. All I know is, when I stumbled across the website, and saw these books – I immediately knew I had to have them. I knew they would be very useful, and they haven’t disappointed me – only exceeded my expectations. 



I really, really like these. I especially like the 'Goals List – Log Book – Sketch Book' subtitled 'Plan Your Viewing – Have More Fun'. The reason why I like it, is because it’s the perfect book to keep your sketches in. Basically one book, to keep all of your pencil sketches in. What I plan to do is create my rough sketches, while observing (as usual) - then create the final sketches on the pages of this book. This way, all of my sketches will be in one place. The books are spiral bound, so the sketches can be easily scanned (right from the book). This will be very convenient when it’s time to make the electronic/shareable image of your sketch. I think it’s perfect! 

I can’t wait to start collecting sketches in it! because before now, my various pencil sketches have been kind of all over the place... I do my best to keep them all in one place – One general area... but they’re on different sheets of paper, different types of paper, different sizes, textures, (and levels of neatness!). This little sketch holding book is the answer. 



I was actively shopping for an astronomy sketchbook, and just for the convenience of it: I went to Amazon...

And I basically looked at every single type of astronomy sketchbook which they had available on Amazon. But for one reason or another, I never actually ordered one I guess I couldn’t decide on which one was the best or something? I can’t recall. I’m actually very glad that I stumbled upon this one, because it suits me perfectly. In fact, it’s not like some of the other sketchbooks I’ve seen, and considered buying (on Amazon). 

This one has useful features to help you achieve your viewing goals, and to keep things organized. I’d say, this is because it’s a sketchbook made for astronomers by an astronomer. It stands head and shoulders above the generic astronomy sketch books you can find on Amazon.


Signed by the Author.

The author, Peter Birren, happens to be a very nice gentleman as well. As seen in the photo above, he personalized it.

Since you’ve read this far, I will share with you the email I sent to Peter Birren – which I wrote in response to an email from him, informing me that my book would be signed, and in the mail that day. I just have to point out that the entire experience was just a pleasure. And I don’t know about you, but that isn’t always the case when buying anything, especially these days. 

So, here is a paste of the email which I sent:


Dear Peter,

Thank you for your email; and thank you for creating these wonderful resources.
I discovered your work via recommendation on Rony De Laet’s website. I’ve always been impressed with the sketches he’s made with modest instruments.
I also enjoy making pencil sketches from binoculars.
Well, it only took a quick glance at the sample pages shown on your site, and I knew I had to have them. I’d purchased a used copy of the book just a little while before.
I took one look at the OITH Goals/Log/Sketch book-and I was ordering it that same moment, almost by instinct!
I didn’t know an electronic version was available, so for good measure I just purchased that as well 😀
It will be convenient to print out one to three pages for a few hours of observing.
I’ll be adding a link to your great stuff on my little blog (shortly) - 

I intend on focusing on planetary nebulae more, and would like to know which instrument you’d recommend for this task? Bortle 4.

Thanks again! And best wishes!

Clear skies,
-Al

No comments: