Saturday, October 23, 2021

Microscopy Versus Astronomy - Some Initial Random Thoughts...

Microscopy & Micrographs Vs. Astronomy & Astrophotography

*Disclaimer* In the spirit of full disclosure, I will state up front - That since the time when I first typed-up this post: I've changed my mind about these hobbies, and I've found myself very satisfied with astronomy & astrophotography. 
Without further adieu, here's my original Post:

Here's a topic, which I think about quite often. As in, which is the better pursuit? Which is the hobby that one should devote their precious free time to? Or, more specifically, which one should I spend my time on. Which of these two optics related hobbies are more worthy?

Well, of course, here are some logical answers, straight away:

  • Why not simply enjoy both? Enjoy each, when you can, etc.
~ Or ~
  • Partake in the hobby which you, personally, enjoy more. 
Either solution seems simple enough. However, many (if not most) people simply don't have a huge surplus of time - So, they may elect to spend their precious free time on just one. Perhaps with the hope that a fuller, deeper,  enjoyment can be achieved using the advantage of focus?

I've always enjoyed reading any posts or articles I've stumbled on, regarding these two pastimes (invariably, microscopy tends to come out on top in case you were wondering). If you were to do your own bit of research, you would run into some of the following factors which are usually mentioned:

-Astronomy-

Pros:
  • Easily "accessible"
  • More mainstream and popular. 
  • Several major magazines are printed monthly (in almost every Country) devoted to the subject. In addition, many others are now available online (mainly dealing with Astrophotography).
  • Astronomy clubs exist in every major city.
Cons:
  • Absolutely weather-dependent. 
  • One should ideally live under dark skies - Although "counter-measures" exist; the level of frustration one endures, is in direct proportion to the amount of light pollution present.
  • Initial investment must (typically) be substantial in order to get decent results.
  • If one wishes to capture images: The level of investment (of both time & money) skyrockets. 

-Microscopy-

Pros:
  • May be enjoyed 365 days per year, in any weather, at any time.
  • It's very easy to collect specimens to view; whether they be Protozoa or small cuttings from trees, flowers, plants, moss or algae.
  • There are a myriad of permanent slides available for convenient viewing.
  • Can be enjoyed regardless of location (Urban/Suburban/Rural)*
* Even someone living in the center of New York, London or Tokyo could entertain themselves with a microscope.  
 
Cons:
  • Requires slightly more effort to learn one's way around, etc.
  • Clubs are practically non-existent (on this side of The Pond).
  • Those who enjoy observing Protists, need to do a bit of planning ahead, etc., to ensure thriving cultures through the coldest months.
The only additional challenge/annoyance which comes to mind, relates to those living in a metropolitan area: To enjoy the fascinating world of living microorganisms, such as Protists, Protozoa, colorful bacteria, etc., one needs to get a water sample (or two) from an appropriate pond, swamp, stream, etc.
 
So a (hopefully short!) trip would be required, to fill a few small containers with suitable water samples.
The good news, is that with a bit of research and resourcefulness, you can keep your pond water cultures thriving for many months (more on this later).

Again, for now, I can really only share my experiences with both endeavors as a guide. I haven't directly consulted (or interviewed) other hobbyists yet...

I recently relocated from an urban area, to a much more rural location. I can tell you that trying to enjoy any kind of visual astronomy while close to a city is very frustrating. Some folks, in similar surroundings, have found astrophotography to be less annoying - but not by much.

As I type this, the Astronomy related books at my bedside have been reduced to just two; both dealing with one of my favorite subjects - Binocular Astronomy. The others, having been steadily returned to their bookcase. 
In their place, there are: A field guide to bacteria, other books on bacteria; college textbooks on: Freshwater invertebrates, Protozoa, pollen, plant microtechnique, etc. Lately, I especially enjoy the (old) books on Plant Microtechnique.
 
I suppose I'd be remiss, if I failed to mention the myriad of printed (Web-based) resources/articles which are also on my reading list - These deal with fluorescence microscopy, which I've been fascinated with for many years.
Coincidentally, I'm in the process of completing the (minor) repair/restoration of a (American Optical 20 w/ 2070 fluorescence unit) fluorescence 'scope from the late 1970's. Preliminary tests look promising.

Not too many years ago, I came across an article which described a mature couple who lived in a very remote location - And the husband was an avid Microscopist. The article had a profound and lasting impression on me: This gentleman lived in an area, where the nearest other inhabitants were tens of kilometers away. He could have chosen many other ways to spend his time, but choose microscopy.

I seem to be of the opinion, that solitude may somehow distill one's passions. Perhaps it helps to concentrate a person's interests? so that they settle on a pastime which they value more (above other, possible endeavors).

I suppose one of my questions regarding this topic, and of comparable hobbies in general is: If you were to live on a "deserted island" and could only enjoy one hobby, which would it be?

No comments: