Saturday, February 2, 2019

Review Of The Sky Quality Meter From Unihedron

This Post will be the "future site" of a full/detailed technical review of The Sky Quality Meter from Unihedron. As it stands now, it's more of a general review.
(As is my custom sometimes, when I review bat detectors)

The Sky Quality Meter from Unihedron also commonly referred to as an SQM, arrived here for review (from Canada) very neatly packaged:
 
 

 

The unit I've been loaned for this review, is The SQM-L At 3.6 x 2.6 x 1.1 inches, and 0.31 lb in weight, it's small & light enough to fit in a shirt pocket. It arrives (from Canada) very well packaged; neatly done with bubble wrap. And includes a lovely black velvet drawstring bag for storing the unit.
I also like the sticker on the front, which can serve to remind the user what the numbers represent (as far as lighter/darker skies). Excellent. 
 
 


Also, at $134.99 direct from Unihedron, it's quite affordable. The SQM-L features a built-in lens, which ensures that a proper amount of sky is sampled.

This unique instrument is very easy to use - However, one should really remember to allow the unit to acclimate to ambient temperature before taking readings. This will ensure the most accurate readings. In fact, another neat feature, is it's ability to display the actual temperature (with a certain button push sequence).

The SQM-L would be an ideal piece of equipment for someone who keeps observation logs, and/or sketches. Adding the actual sky darkness readings to observing logs. I feel as though both amateur and professional astronomers will find this unit indispensable. Frankly, I love it.


The SQM-L Meter, Sitting atop a book I'm very fond of.
You can disregard the reading of 11.44. I only pressed the button (indoors) for illustrative purposes.

Using it couldn't be simpler: Allow the unit to achieve equilibrium with the surrounding night air; then press the button while the lens is pointed towards your dark sky. Dark, as in, devoid of nearby artificial lights. As is the case with all things Astronomy: The further away you are from buildings & artificial lighting, the better.

Pros:
  • Small size.
  • Accurate.

Cons:
  •  None.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but astronomers are prone to getting obsessive over things like: Dark skies, seeing conditions, and let's not forget equipment! The Sky Quality Meter from Unihedron fits right in!

The first time I tried this unit, I made the mistake of not allowing it to acclimate to the outside temperature (I didn't wait long enough). However the readings I got, were:
  • 19.02
  • 19.28
  • 19.24
And on another occasion: 

10/18/18:
  • 19.42
  • 19.58
The SQM-L is an amazing little device, which will enable astronomers from all walks of life to measure the quality of their observing location(s). What could be better?

I'll be adding a lot more detailed information here soon - Much more to follow... 
I'll take this opportunity, to sincerely thank the kind folks at Unihedron, for the loan of the equipment.

Clear & dark skies!

No comments: