Sunday, January 13, 2019

Book Review - Discover the Night Sky through Binoculars

'Discover The Night Sky Through Binoculars' This is a new book, written by Stephen Tonkin.

I ordered my copy from Amazon (Here) and it arrived well-packaged, in their usual stiff, brown cardboard packaging (I order lots of books from Amazon).
It's a small book (6" x 0.4" x 9") which makes it that much easier to carry around.
The current price (at Amazon) is $13.15 for the paperback; and it's also available in Kindle format - However, I tend to like (real) paper books, and especially when it comes to books on Astronomy/observing.
 
After the Introduction, and a chapter on 'How to use this book', there is Chapter 1, which does a great job of explaining why 'Two Eyes are Better than One'. I never tire of reading about the advantages of using binoculars for astronomical observing, so I was pleased to learn some additional bits of information regarding the subject. 
Chapter 2 'Binoculars and BSOs' explains the ins and outs of binoculars themselves, and has helpful tips to ensure that beginners don't end up (unknowingly) purchasing truly awful "optics".
Chapter 3 'Effective Deployment' contains tips on the best way to hold binoculars - If you're interested in all of the different methods with which one can hold binoculars for astronomical observing - Check out another book by Stephen Tonkin titled 'Binocular Astronomy' (man, I love that book!). It's currently in it's 2nd Edition.

The table of contents features chapters for each month of observing. Using a unique method, of having 2 parts for each month. For example, there is a:

Chapter 4.1 January: The Skies of the Hunter   -and a-
Chapter 4.2 January: Starfish and Minnows
As I stated in an earlier post, about this new book on binocular astronomy, it is unique!

This book would be ideal for anyone who enjoys (or has an interest in) binocular astronomy.

I must say, that I thoroughly enjoyed the star maps / finder charts which accompany the chapters. Very nice! I don't know about you, but I really enjoy new star charts! Owners of the book are also treated to an online resource, where you may print-out your own convenient copies of the charts - Love it!

In summary, there isn't too much more to add. It's an excellent book; I also appreciate it's easily portable size more and more. I carry it around with me, as if it were practically a new teddy bear! Seriously enjoyable to read. 


Clear skies!

No comments: