Saturday, January 27, 2024

The AM3 Harmonic Equatorial Mount from ZWO - Arrival and First Impressions

The AM3 Harmonic Mount from ZWO - First Impressions

AM3 stands for Asi Mount 3 represents the model # (3 for the smaller model, 5 for the larger).

The AM3 Mount & TC40 Tripod arrived very quickly (in only a few days) to me; in (upstate) New York. I was happy to learn that ZWO has a US location, which isn't very far from me at all! Since I don't have a tripod which would be worthy of holding this amazing AM3 Mount: I requested the loan of ZWO's TC40 carbon fiber Tripod as well.

Happy Day!

This was so exciting! That I had to share my "first look" at the boxes!

Beginning to remove The TC40 from it's shipping box.

Each piece of equipment arrived double-boxed, and in perfect condition. 

Regarding The TC40 carbon fiber Tripod: When I first learned the retail price of this tripod; I was taken aback a bit. However, after having hands-on experience with it:

I realized it is truly amazing. It is a very well-designed, carbon fiber tripod, and is very sturdy! While being very lightweight at the same time. It's easy to set-up and fold-up for transport - Both for temporary transport: from one observing spot to another (when you move 5 to 10 meters); as well as more "permanent" relocation: Such as from one city or town to another! It's simply a pleasure to use; and it's obviously the perfect match (in fit & finish) when coupled with either an AM3 or AM5 Mount.


The legs only extend one length, so the tripod doesn’t sit very high, when at maximum extension. I found it to be perfect for my needs, although some people might prefer a taller tripod.

When moving from one observing spot to another (just a few meters, for instance), I can lift and move it very easily. Try that with a typical mount! Try that with a large SkyWatcher mount...You may end up getting tripped-up! They are very awkward and heavy to move - even if only a few meters! High Point Scientific also has them in stock.


I remember reading many good things about The AM3 / AM5 Mounts, from fellow hobbyists on The Cloudy Nights Forum. They have always been highly regarded; and frequently recommended as excellent astrophotography mounts. Especially for users of medium to large refractors; as well as those seeking a grab and go mount for visual observing!

Can you recall anyone ever recommending one of the larger/bulky GoTo mounts for visual users? Me either. I think it says a lot about the value and utility of these mounts from ZWO. Even though there seem to be differing opinions, regarding it's suitability for visual-only users. 


I've come across forum posts, where some say it's not a good choice for visual use. Well, I've used it as a visual-only mount, with my Astro Tech 80EDT refractor, and it served the purpose well.

So, as part of my evaluation and testing: I used The AM3 for visual observing only, for several nights. I found it to be be very comfortable and intuitive to use. I used all of the basic/default settings; and became very familiar, and comfortable with the scope's movements in relation to the joystick control.

Coming up next, will be Part 1 of a 2-Part full Review of The AM3 Mount...

Until next time,

Clear skies!

No comments: