Friday, November 3, 2023

Sharing Some Stories - Story #1 - How I First Became Interested In Astronomy

How I First Became Interested In Astronomy 

When I was in my first year of high school, I came home one day, to find that one of my older brothers (John) had a new telescope sent to me.

Of course, as you might’ve guessed it was the ubiquitous 60mm refractor!

I was very excited, but at that age, with no experience with astronomy, and no one around to guide me, I didn’t really know how to get the most out of it.

And although I lived under Bortle 4 skies at that time, all I ever managed to do with it, was to look at the moon and planets – I think back now, and think to myself: what a waste of dark skies! That was what first sparked my interest in astronomy.

Through the years since then, I’ve always had a telescope of one kind or another around. I really became immersed in astronomy, and at one point even invested in more than one pair of Fujinon binoculars, along with matching nebula filters, a TeleVue telescope (The Pronto), as well as a new 8 inch Dobsonian. But it was all still visual astronomy.

Discovering Astrophotography

As it so happens, to many of us amateur visual astronomers, we eventually become interested in astrophotography; and I was no different.

As for my career, I was an Information Technology Professional, working for many fortune 500 companies, in fast-paced New York City.

Nevertheless, when it came time for my hobbies, I was still on a limited budget. Astrophotography can be an expensive hobby; and I didn’t have a lot of discretionary funds available to spend on expensive equipment. So I looked into ways that I could enjoy astrophotography on a low budget.

My first forays into astrophotography, consisted of wooden barn door trackers with 12V stepper motors, and 35mm film cameras! I used many different models (mostly rangefinder types), and also used gas-hypered film! 

Gas-hypered film was offered by a company, called Lumicon, and I’m pretty sure I was the individual who purchased the very last rolls they had in stock. Gas-hypered film is no longer available anywhere…Something which in this day and age, would be considered an ancient relic! Well, in those days, gas-hypered film was made, so that amatuer astrophotographers could capture colourful nebulae with their film cameras.

My collection of (relatively low-cost) 35mm film cameras. I experimented with each of these for astrophotography.


At some point in the future, I'll scan some print photos I'd made with gas-hypered film, and add them to this post. For now, here is a Pic of one of my better barn door trackers:

Homemade barn door tracker (purchased from another hobbyist online). I provided ~10.8v DC power, in order to get 1 "tick"-per-second from the stepper motor. 


Making Progress In Astrophotography

Things slowly continued from there; I was able to acquire slightly better equipment, over time (but still always low budget!). I even experimented with a low cost (Meade) one shot color CCD camera, attached to a 135mm (Canon) lens.

M17 - This was taken with the Meade DSI CCD camera, attached to a canon 135mm F/2.5 lens, set at F/4. A stack of 87, 2.8 second exposures. Stacked using Nebulosity‘s drizzle feature.
 

I eventually (finally!) progressed to a modified Canon DSLR camera, along with slightly better mounts. I can still remember how off-the-charts happy I was, when I got that used, Ha-modified Canon DSLR! I also bought an extra lens from the seller.

The astrophotography experiments continued; at this time I was living under Bortle 8 skies, (in Bronx NY) not too far from New York City.

As I advanced, the thing I began to notice, was how astrophotography required quite a bit of time in front of a computer screen - processing the images. As an IT Professional, I already spent almost 9 hours a day, looking at computer screens!

Believe it or not, this was one of the main reasons why I would take long breaks from the hobby. I simply didn’t want to spend so much time in front of a computer screen, stacking and post processing images.

NGC 1499 The California Nebula. This is one of my better images, taken with a modified Canon DSLR.

Discovering and using The Dwarf 2 

Then, just recently, I discovered The Dwarf II smart telescope from DwarfLabs.

When I first stumbled across the Dwarf 2 - It was like wow! I started seeing the images people were taking with the Dwarf 2 – and they looked great!

So I immediately decided that I simply had to have one!

I’ve been using mine on every clear night, since I got it. Of course, there are many wonderful pros about owning and using a Dwarf 2 smart telescope. The characteristic I appreciate most, is how the images look so good – and that with just a little basic “cleaning up”, most often directly on your cell phone, they are ready to share with friends and family.

M31 - 150 sub exposures of 15” each. Taken and stacked by The Dwarf 2. 
Minor post processing.

There are many things that I like about The Dwarf 2, but 2 factors which are most prominent, are:

1. The way it’s like having a tiny robot, doing your astrophotography for you. I mean, it's out there in your backyard...sometimes, in the freezing cold, taking photos of deep space for you...It might as well be a Probe Droid 🤖

2. And, the wide fields of view it provides. It is able to comfortably frame many of the larger deep sky objects, where other smart telescopes cannot.

On these nights, whenever I leave The Dwarf 2 outside in the backyard, to do it’s imaging: I walk back into the house, with a big smile on my face, saying to myself: “I love this thing!”

In fact, as I type this, my Dwarf 2 is on my deck; taking (and stacking) images of NGC 6946 The Fireworks Galaxy and open star cluster NGC 6939 - Since they both fit comfortably in the field of view!

I'm looking forward to doing more astrophotography with The Dwarf 2!

Keep an eye out for Story #2, coming soon...Until next time,

Clear & steady skies to you!

No comments: