Friday, September 22, 2023

Thoughts On The Dwarf II Smart Telescope From DwarfLabs Part 1 of 2

While I waited for The Dwarf II Smart Telescope From DwarfLabs...I just thought I'd share some of my initial thoughts and observations.

I should also point out, that The Dwarf II was scheduled to arrive here today! It didn't take very long to get here - from China (via DHL in this case). In any case, it's very exciting! *Spoiler Alert* - it has arrived!

There are some facts, and ideas, which are very obvious - Even though the unit had not arrived yet. Luckily, I'm an experienced amateur astronomer; who has also gotten into (and out of) the hobby of astrophotography many times over the years.

In fact, I’ve been in and out of the Astrophotography Hobby so many times: that when I go on Astromart or CloudyNights, I have to make sure that I don’t end up buying my own equipment back!

Thanks to my older Brother John, I had a telescope since the age of about 14. I came home from school one day, to find that a box was delivered. As you may have guessed, it was the ubiquitous 60mm refractor :)  

I also happened to be living under Bortle 4 skies back then. But, without anyone around to guide me, etc. - I used to just observe the moon, and occasionally, planets. I simply didn't know any better, really.

I only lived under those Bortle 4 skies for a couple of years...Then, it was back to the city...Bronx, New York had Bortle 8 skies :( but, I never let that stop me.

Well, telescopes, astronomy, and a love of optics (like binoculars, etc.) stuck with me ever since. I typically had a small telescope (usually a refractor) available at all times...

And over the years, I've been responsible for having people get their first view(s) of celestial objects: The planets, the moon, and the brighter DSO's.

At the "height" of my equipment craze, the instruments I was fortunate enough to count amoung my collection were:

7x50 Fujinon binoculars, with the bespoke "Nebular" filters

16x70 Fujinon binoculars (yes, those legendary ones), also with the custom screw-on nebula filters. When I had my first look at M42 through those 16x70's (with nebula filters attached) it actually took my breath away!

TeleVue Pronto 70mm, with a few good EP's

An occasional inexpensive 60mm refractor, to experiment with, from time to time. 

And, typically, a 5" -to- 8' Dobsonian was usually on hand - depending on what year it was, I guess?

I would typically gift the inexpensive telescopes away (when I felt like I wanted a replacement, etc.). There was no Astromart or CloudyNights back in those days anyway!

There were books, however. And as soon as PC's became a thing: BBS's and Newsletters from Amateur Astronomy Clubs...

Well, you get the idea... Some of my earlier posts on this blog, showcase my first attempts at astrophotography.

For those of you who have even dabbled in astrophotography, you will immediately appreciate The Dwarf II from DwarfLabs... And I'll tell you exactly why, in Part 2 of this post. Much more to follow.

Link to my AstroProducts YouTube channel.

Until then...Clear skies!

No comments: