Sunday, January 23, 2022

Things You Never Knew Existed!

We Interrupt your regularly scheduled telescope restoration projects, tips and tricks — To bring you some important bulletins:

Some singularly odd, And formerly unimaginable events may be taking place here, in the near future. What I'm referring to is the bending of the fabric of reality — Or what might more accurately be described as a visit to another dimension.

A dimension not of sight and sound, but of mind... 

It's very difficult for the layperson to believe that acts of extraordinary kindness, and generosity still occur in the world. Especially in today's day and age — the year 2022.

Today the average person is in fact jaded. In my case, I should be even more jaded than most people are. In my 20 years of working in New York City, I've been exposed to more than my share of malice, threats, and violence. Yet through it all, I still maintained my faith in the goodness of humanity. Or, more accurately, to still know that good people (although certainly rare) still exist. 

Again, what started as an ordinary Want Ad, on The Cloudy Nights website (classified section) - Seemed to have opened a portal; to a simpler time - Something reminiscent of the town of Willoughby... I guess it would help if you've seen that particular episode <clicking that link will take you to a ~2 Min. YouTube video (giving you a peek at the Twilight Zone episode I'm referring to).

Perhaps in a town like Willoughby, an experienced, and avid collector of telescopes would be happy to part with examples from his collection - for a relatively small amount of money? Perhaps.

Perhaps an amateur astronomer back in those days, would think nothing of traveling many, many miles to deliver the telescope(s) to the buyer? I guess I can't say for sure, but my guess would be in the affirmative. Well this amateur astronomer (Scott), knowing my unique situation, offered to do that very thing: He'll be taking a road trip, to deliver the scopes. And I am simply floored by this act of kindness.

Each of these telescopes (listed below) are of substantial size and weight. And would be very labor-intensive to pack properly for shipping. As well as having prohibitively expensive shipping costs (mainly due to the heavy weights involved). The shipping costs for each, would be close to the actual cost/value of the scope itself...

Well, let's get straight to the telescopes!

Edmund Scientific telescopes:

A 4.25" f/10 Deluxe Space Conqueror - With clock drive

A 6" f/8 Super Space Conqueror - With clock drive

A 6" f/6 3001 model fork mount - With clock drive 

And... A 6" f/6 Cave Student Model - This telescope is all original! Which is pretty amazing! It was obviously well-kept, no restoration was necessary.

Again, one of the fascinating factors about this acquisition, is that the seller's asking price is very, very reasonable. In other words: very generous - And I appreciate it.

So essentially, it's a vintage telescope collector's starter kit! I'm really looking forward to it.

Scott sent me pictures of this wonderful, restored reflector; along with the fascinating story and details behind it. 

A 6" f/6 Cave Reflector / Student Model A
(soon to be mine if all goes well)


The beauty pictured above started it's life in California, probably around the early 1970's - And has gone through a lot since then...
Not the least of which, was a completely rebuilt mount. Scott had no choice but to purchase each component of the mount separately - and build it piece-by-piece.
Amazing stuff! 

Cave finder scope, helical focuser...


I look forward to posting much more about this upcoming unique opportunity. Along with more wonderful pics...

The mount.


All good stuff!! The only "challenge" I face now, is the waiting!!
As a side note: when it comes to most circumstances, I am far more patient than most! I'm very good at delaying gratification as well.

But waiting for the (as-yet-unkown) day when the scopes will arrive...
Oh my goodness!! What makes it more difficult, is not having a decent instrument for observing :(  
That is the factor which makes it harder to behave like a mature adult!
So what I need to do, is keep myself busy by working on my other blog.

I don't currently have any photos of the Edmund Scientific telescopes. I was thinking, that I could post pics here which are easily found on the Web - but they are of other people's scopes. I guess I could just wait a bit longer, and post up pics of the actual scopes, when they get here! 

I look forward to posting much more about this upcoming unique opportunity. With pictures of the actual Edmund telescopes. Along with more pics of The Cave scope.

Until next post - I wish you clear and steady skies!

No comments: