Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Some "Quick & Dirty" Book reviews

It's been quite a few years since I sold all my Astronomy books. There were some good ones in my collection. I've always especially loved books by Philip Harrington
(http://www.philharrington.net/). In fact, I still have (and read) the 1st Edition of his Star Ware.

Well, I've been reading a lot lately... Since I've become very interested in Visual Astronomy again, I've bought several books. And, I thought I'd list them here, and give my quick impressions of each.

Visual Astronomy in the Suburbs: A Guide to Spectacular Viewing (Patrick Moore's Practical Astronomy Series)[Paperback]: Excellent, highly recommended. I love this one. I also like the fact that the subject of Image Intensifiers. The subject is new to me, and really interesting. Even though I have owned and used a Meade CCD camera before.

Binocular Astronomy (Patrick Moore's Practical Astronomy Series) [Paperback]Stephen Tonkin (Author):
Awesome, just as good (maybe better) than the book above! Just great - A wealth of information.

Real Astronomy with Small Telescopes: Step-by-Step Activities for Discovery (Patrick Moore's Practical Astronomy Series) [Paperback]
Michael Gainer (Author):
Not a bad book, but not fantastic either. Honestly, I was a bit disappointed with this one.
While reading this book, I get the feeling of actually being discouraged from attempting any visual observing. The Author seems to dwell on the negative side of observing from light-polluted areas.

The Urban Astronomer's Guide: A Walking Tour of the Cosmos for City Sky Watchers (Patrick Moore's Practical Astronomy Series) [Paperback]Rod Mollise(Author):

I loved this book! I actually haven't finished reading it all yet. But, I can highly recommend it. It is the exact opposite of the book reviewed above ^ This book is simply excellent! I give it an A+

Well, that's it for now. More book reviews will follow, at some point in the future...

No comments: